Jeffrey D. Bears
Attorney Jeffrey Bears is the principal and founder of JDBears Law, LLC. He has over twelve years of experience holding positions in large law firms as well as for-profit, non-profit and academic institutions.
Jeff considers himself an attorney with a heart. He has dedicated his professional and personal life to helping others achieve their goals. Jeff is proactive and rolls up his sleeves to determine creative solutions for his clients. He has an entrepreneurial and practical business mindset which serves him well to be a strategic advisor and partner to each of his clients. From technology transactions to commercial agreements, industry collaborations to strategic transactions, university collaborations to outside general counsel activities, Jeff is always ready to serve his clients to protect innovation and the businesses his clients have built.
In addition to his law degree, Jeff has master’s degrees in biostatistics, genetics, and biotechnology. He is currently completing work on an MBA with a focus in entrepreneurship. With this background, he serves as a subject matter expert in life sciences legal transactions for Lexis Practice Advisor, creating agreements, templates, practice guidance and other materials for use by law firms and in-house counsel.
Jeff has served as a mentor for the Harvard Initiative for Learning and Teaching (HILT) at Harvard University – a program where current Harvard University graduate students form teams to create innovation and entrepreneurship in the field of education. He has also served on the President’s Advisory Board at Bishop Feehan High School and has served on the Board of Directors of the Young Entrepreneurs Network. He also teaches mathematics courses at Northeastern University, Wentworth Institute of Technology and Southern New Hampshire University.
When not working with clients or volunteering in the community, Jeff loves to go for runs, compete in obstacle races, travel, listen to music, and spend time with his family, including his pocket beagle, Thor. He feels very strongly that in today’s busy 24/7 business environment, it is important to make time for family and friends and to live a full and balanced life. He takes pride in helping his clients achieve both success and balance, too.
- Technology transactions
- Commercial contracts
- Industry collaborations
- Strategic transactions
- Academic and university transactions
- Business and commercial law
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
Intellectual Property and Technology Journal (Staff Editor, Articles Editor)
Intellectual Property and Technology Forum (Symposium Co-Chair)
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst, M.B.A
- Johns Hopkins University, M.S. in Biotechnology
- Yale University, M.S. in Genetics
- Harvard University, M.S. in Biostatistics
- Colby College, B.A. in Mathematics, magna cum laude with honors and distinction in mathematics
Admissions to Practice
- U.S. Supreme Court (2016)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (2010)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts (2010)
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals (2010)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (2010)
- District of Columbia (2010)
- Massachusetts (2009)
Volunteer and Professional Service
- Bishop Feehan High School President’s Advisory Board
- Young Entrepreneurs Network
- Entrepreneurship Center, University of Massachusetts - Boston